Gov't Trade Credit Insurance Backstop Could Cost £1.7B

Law360, London (July 15, 2020, 3:37 PM BST) -- The U.K. government could pay out around £1.7 billion ($2.14 billion) in insurance claims this year following the launch of a trade credit guarantee scheme, an independent public finance watchdog said.

The Office for Budget Responsibility said Tuesday the figure was an estimate based on trade credit losses from the previous financial crisis. The actual cost of claims could range between £800 million and £2.7 billion, it said.

Under the U.K.'s trade credit backstop, the government effectively pays 90% of trade credit claims, with insurers picking up the tab for the remaining 10% of losses. The scheme was launched in June in...

Stay ahead of the curve

In the legal profession, information is the key to success. You have to know what’s happening with clients, competitors, practice areas, and industries. Law360 provides the intelligence you need to remain an expert and beat the competition.

  • Access to case data within articles (numbers, filings, courts, nature of suit, and more.)
  • Access to attached documents such as briefs, petitions, complaints, decisions, motions, etc.
  • Create custom alerts for specific article and case topics and so much more!


Related Sections


Hello! I'm Law360's automated support bot.

How can I help you today?

For example, you can type:
  • I forgot my password
  • I took a free trial but didn't get a verification email
  • How do I sign up for a newsletter?
Ask a question!